jueves, 3 de febrero de 2011

Useful expressions for the speaking exam

PLANS FOR THE WEEKEND

On Saturday morning
First, I’m going to………….. with………………..
Then we’re going to……..
After that we’re having lunch at 2 o’clock with………… at……………
After lunch we’re going to
In the evening………………

On Sunday
In the morning
Then
Before lunch
After lunch
In the evening


PLANS FOR THE SUMMER
In July
The first week of July
The second half of the month I’m going to
In August
I’m going to ……….. for a week
After that, I’m going to stay
The last two weeks…..



PAST SAYING WHAT HAPPENED
Þ How are you? How was your weekend?
Þ Well, good. I went to a football match and I caught the bus but I left my camera on the way back
Þ What did you do?
Þ I rang the bus company and they said “ It wasn’t there” I think someone took it.
Þ That’s terrible. You should go to the police . I could come with you.
Þ When do you want to go? When’s good for you?
Þ I’m free now. Are you?
Þ O.K.
Alternative
Þ How are you? How was your weekend?
Þ Good. I went out for dinner with some friends on Saturday. I heard there was a concert in the park and we went there. Next day I went to the cinema.
Þ What did you see?
Þ The GodFather. It was great. Have you seen it?
Þ Yes, I have. I think it is a wonderful film.
MORE QUESTIONS
How was your weekend?
What was the last movie you saw?
What was it like?/ Did you like the film?
Who did you go with?
Did you have a nice weekend?/Did you go to the cinema?/What did you see?/Did you like the film?/Did you go with friends?
When did you last go on holiday? Who did you go with ?/ Did you have a good time?
Did you watch football? Did you meet your friends? Did you study?




PLANNING A VISIT/ A HOLIDAY

SUGGESTIONS
Why don’t we go to …….?
How about going to the………….?
Let’s go

REPLY
-That’s a good idea/ That sounds great/ That’s fine with me
-I don’t mind / It’s up to you/ You can choose
-I’d rather not do that/I’d rather do something else/I don’t really want to do that/ I don’t agree with you.

INVITATIONS
Would you like to come with me? Would you like to come with us?
But I like reading books (likes and dislikes)

EXAMPLE
Þ What shall we do today?
Þ Well, What about going to the Metropolitan Museum? People say it’s really good.
Þ I’d rather not do that today. The weather is great. I want to be outside.
Þ Why don’t we go to the Statue of Liberty?
Þ That’s a good idea. And after that, what about going to Central Park?
Þ Sure. That sounds great. Oh, and I want to go to Times Square as well.
Þ That’s fine with me. Let’s go there first. It’s not far from here.



INVITING SOMEONE TO A PARTY
Þ It’s my birthday next weekend. Some people are coming to my house to celebrate and I would like you to come
Þ That sounds good. What day?
Þ Saturday. Saturday night.
Þ Yes. I don’t have any plans for next Saturday. Great. What time? Do you want me to bring something?
Þ No, nothing. I’ll get the food and everthing.
Þ Do you want something special for your birthday?
Þ No, You don’t have to buy a birthday present. Just come and help me to celebrate.
Þ That sounds great.
Þ See you then.
Þ Bye for now.




TALKING ABOUT FOOD
Shall we go out for dinner?
What about Japanese food?

MEAL (starters; main course; desserts)
Kind of restaurants: expensive/ cheap; small/local restaurant; family restaurants; fast-food restaurants.
Italian: spaghetti Bolognese(beef and tomatoes); pizza; pasta; salads(vegetables, cheese)
Japanese: miso soup(tofu and onions) ; sushi
Spanish: Paella(rice and seafood); Spanish omelet; fish; seafood;
Chinese: beef stir-fry (beef, broccoli and ginger)
French: crème bulée (with vanilla and cream),


EXPRESSIONS TO DESCRIBE FOOD: Salads (fresh); chicken(tender and spicy) ; ice-cream (sweet and creamy).

Positive adjectives: All right; delicious; excellent; OK; tasty
Negative adjectives: Awful; not very good.

What’s the soup like?
How’s your salad?
Is the steak nice?


DESCRIBING A PLACE

People are very friendly/ the food is great/ the hotel is a bit disappointing/ It’s very quiet place/ It is very expensive/ There’s a lot to see.

GOOD ADJECTIVES: WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC, MARVELLOUS, GREAT, AMAZING
NEGATIVE ADJECTIVES: TERRIBLE, AWFUL, DISAPPOINTING, DREADFUL, DISGUSTING.



ASKING FOR A PLACE

1) Are there any good markets there?
2) What museums do you recommend?
3) Where’s the best place to go shopping?
4) Are there any temples or churches I can visit near here?
5) Is there a guided tour I can go on?

REPLIES
1) Yes, there are lots. It’s about two minutes from here. There’s also a good night market.
2) There are many good ones. There are Space Museum; the Science Museum; the Horse Racing Museum.
3) You can find shops everywhere.
4) Yes, there are two important Temples/ Churches.
5) Yes. A tour bus leaves from just across the road.

DESCRIBING A PLACE

A street: This is a long street where you can find shops, bars, restaurants, markets, great theatres….everything.
A sight: this is one of the most famous sights of …….This is an excellent example of Modern Art.

EXPRESS WHAT YOU THINK OR HOPE
I think so/ I don’t think so/ I hope so/ I believe so.
ALTERNATIVES FOR LIKE when you talk about interests or hobbies:

I am very fond of music, football, books, reading books, French cuisine.
I am keen on Peter/ on an idea/ travel/golf/tennis/ ( me encanta Peter, esa idea, el golf, el tenis)


Si tenéis alguna duda mi e-mail es clasaf@hotmail.com

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario